Tuesday, September 16, 2014

WK3 Communication



During the various ways that one can communicate to stakeholders I came up with the following. During the E-mail modality, Jane wanted Mark to send the missing report where she needed that data from that report. She also mentioned that Mark could send over just the data that she needed in a different email so she could finish her report on time. When it came to the voicemail that I listened to Jane asked Mark that even though he was in a meeting all day she needed the report or the data in a separate email so that she could finish her report on time. Then, during a face-to-face meeting Jane said that she knew that Mark has been busy all day at the meeting. She would like an ETA on the report so that she could have the information in order to complete her report on time. Jane asked if he could send the report via email or send the data in a separate email so she could finish her report on time.

Even though throughout all different modalities I knew that Jane needed the report. To be honest, sometimes we all interrupt e-mail differently and normally I read my e-mails at work a couple of times, so I know exactly what the person is asking or telling me. Take, for example, when I read the email the first time I missed when she mentioned that Jane needing the report to finish hers. Then, during the voicemail I got most of what Jane was trying to tell me that she needed the data to complete her report via email or a separate email for the data. When communicating face-to-face I could see her facial expressions that we normally don’t get during e-mail or a voicemail message. Just by watching her facial expression, I could tell that it was important to her, getting her report done on time.

When we use communication with the project team, it is more essential to have a face-to-face communication compared to the other modalities. During a face-to-face meeting, I could see if the stakeholders understand the meeting, where we need to explain more so that we are all on the same page. In both the email setting and voicemail setting there is always about what the stakeholder interrupts the message. There are also a time and place that the other communications can be used, for example, a follow-up email stating what was said during a meeting or a voicemail reminding the stakeholder of the meeting that may be coming up.

1 comment:

  1. David,

    I can certainly attest to the inability to properly decipher an email from a colleague because it is almost impossible to detect the tone they are using/ "
    Email is an interesting medium. It is written communication, but not like any other. We don't write or read emails like newspapers, books, or even letters. But email also lacks all of the nonverbal communication that is going on all the time as we talk and that makes us understand each other.

    This makes email a unique medium. The lack of nonverbal clues makes it easy to misinterpret something, but we're not careful enough to avoid these misinterpretations because email feels so instant, easy and accessible, just like talking" (Tschabitsher, 2014).

    Thank you for sharing,

    Krista

    http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et031502.htm

    ReplyDelete